Wednesday 25 November 2015

The Premonition (Book 1)

Inescapable by Amy A. Bartol 

Rating

3 stars

Date Read

22/11/15-25/11/15

Age Group

14+

General Thoughts

Pretty. If you like the Existence (only less unique), Fallen (only not for 12 year olds), Angelfall (only less gruesome) this is the book for you.

I liked it, it was just what I needed: light and fun. Although maybe "light" wasn't exactly what the author was aiming for. Let me try again:

Hot, moody, dangerous angel and normal college girl, their worlds collide. Only mayby he's not so moody and she's not so normal. Dangerous relationships, soulmates, college, eternal existences, avian and butterfly wings, paradoxes and hybrids. 

Like I said, I liked it.

The concept is not original (but what in YA ever is?), the plot is a tad predictable, the main character a bit of a Mary Sue, the dialogues are stiff and the narrating style occasionally annoying. What saved it for me is the relationships between the characters (basically I really liked Reed), the attempt at an angel caste system (Seraphim, Archangels, Powers, Reapers) and the fact that soulmate and love interest were two different people (BUT without a dreadful love triengle, thank goodness!).

Main Characters

Evie

Lets's be honest, Evie is not intelligent, she has a knack for pointing out the obvious and taking impossibly long to come to logical conclusions (while illogical ones take her no time at all: Of course you listen to the psycho ranting about fish and sharks and try to understand the allegory in his words after he's admitted he is a threat to your physical integrity and wants you to abandon your scholarship and run the other way. NOT). 

But she does have her moments, she's good with words, she's kind, honest and forgiving and really very sweet and innocent and NAIVE. So, like all sweet and innocent and naive heroines faced with impossibly hot angels and eternal life, she vies for normalcy. 

Also she's really pretty. Like gorgeous, supermodel pretty. Perfect red hair, perfect grey eyes, perfect tiny waist and perfect long legs. But of course she doesn't realise that and she pretends she's average. As if knowing she's pretty would make her less so. Really, this pattern in YA is beginning to annoy me. 

All in all not my favourite person.

Reed

There is a reason this book is is listed under Best Book Boyfriends. The reason is dark and dangerous, and gorgeous and intelligent with feathery stuff coming out of his back. Reed is also deadly serious and cool, calm. Not aggresively possesive like most of the dark angels you read about these days (although he is a bit of a stalker, can't have everything, I guess... Also, well, keeping her protected when her existence is in danger, you can't really hold that against his six-foot-tall swoon-worthy perfection, right?). 


Narrating 

Coming to the actual reason I didn't like Evie. It was irritating to be in her mind. Having such a character narrate a story, no matter how pretty the backdrop, the relationships or the rest of the characters are, really does put a damper on things. Also, what was up with all the Greek and German words? Reading words like euphemism, allegory and Mephistopheles casually thrown around in every other sentence, it sounds so fake. What kind of teenager insults someone by calling him Mephistopheles anyway? So maybe you do sound impressive throwing in Occam's Rasor, Russel's Paradox and  Hieronymus Bosch. But all the other weird words out of context? It seens like you're trying too hard.

All in All

I would recommend it, but I wouldn't guarantee you'd enjoy it. Be patient with Evie. I tried to be objective, even though I liked it, pointing out all its faults, so if it sounds like I'm slagging off, I'm sorry, it wasn't my intention. I'm not sure if I'll be checking out the sequels, though... a) The ending wasn't much of a success and b) I just found more Jennifer L. Armentrout books.

PS Song Good Guys by Mika (I was addicted to this while reading the book and listening to it constantly, doesn't necessarily mean it fits the concept)

XOXO

Aggie Pearson

No comments: