Friday 9 January 2015

Existence, Predestined & Ceaseless

Existence (Book 1)

Sufficiently developed characters. Easy-to-relate-to narrator (Pagan). Delicious relationships between protagonists. Thought-through plot. Interesting back-story.

Existence was exactly my cup of tea. Although calling a book about Death "a cup of tea" is an interesting way to put it...

Before you run away from that gruesome comment read a summary of the book here.

And let me tell you: it is quiet difficult not to swoon over Death.


Predestined (Book 2)

It was a nice sequel. No strong feelings, like the first one stirred, but nice nonetheless. 

I think the problem was Death. Or, better put, the lack of him. He is one of my all-time favourite male characters, right along Daniel Grigori and Patch Cipriano, and I needed more of him.

Also, the whole Leif situation annoyed me a little bit. He had never done anything to hint at an unworthy character... except maybe stalk Pagan. And not stand up to his father. But who can blame him? The dude was an evil Voodoo Spirit; I'd get weak in my knees too if I had to deal with him.

To explain myself, Leif had been a dark angel (or a Voodoo prince, whatever you prefer) watching over Pagan all her life. He was head over hills in love with her. I feel like it was unfair to him how he managed to be kind and understanding to Pagan despite all his family issues and yet didn't deserve a remotely happy ending.

Then again, I haven't read Leif (Book 2.5 of the series) yet so maybe the author explains why Pagan was so bent on hating him there.

I think that's the only thing that upset me.

Apart from that, Predestined was an almost worthy sequel for Existence.


Ceaseless (Book 3)

The whole *If her soul wants another will he be able to let her go?* in the summary kinda scared me. The idea that these last two books have been for nothing and that by the end of Book 3 Pagan will be back with her ex, Jay... OK. I can't even consider that. But I don't know the author so I have every right to be terrified of Dank's selfless desicions.


UPDATE

The beginning hooked me.

Knowing that I'll be going to college not too long from now from now has me envisioning it quiet often. Usually my idea of college is tightly connected to an idea of newfound freedom, and the responsibility that comes with it. Cooking and cleaning in my very own apartment, studying with other people that share my interests, getting a boyfriend - possibly my first one. 

So imagining Pagan going to college and seeing it through her eyes (Pagan being one of the few female protagonists I can actually relate with) was bound to be interesting. And Miranda was there, who I truly like as a bff.

Then there's Dank. Fighting for her affections all over again.Hurt and broken that she no longer remembers him but determined to make her his once again. *Swoooon*.

And finally, the ex, sweet and confused. Jay. The soul the Creator made as her other half. Fighting for his rightful place next to Pagan without even realizing this is a competition. One that he's highly unlikely to win.

Because, no matter how Jay's soul and Pagan's click, there is no going against a Deity whose whole existence is centered around her and whose strange pull toward her is as undeniable as it is irresistible.

Well, this is bound to give me ridiculously high college-experience expectations...


XOXO
Aggie Pearson

No comments: