Monday 20 July 2015

The Assassin's Curse (Book 0.5)

The Witch's Betrayal by Cassandra Rose Clarke 

Date Read

28/6/15

Age Group

13+

General thoughts

The witch's betrayal is a short story' shedding light onto Naji's past and the life changing moment that scarred him permanently, left him disfigured, looking like, as he would put it, a monster.



I read this when I was halfway through Pirate's Wish, partly because I didn't want to finish it too quickly, but mostly because I really needed to understand how Naji hasn't fallen in love with the freaking protagonist, halfway through the last book of the series. I needed to see what had hurt him so badly that he wouldn't show his growing affection to her, act as though he didn't reciprocate her feelings.

Don't get me wrong, I realise that this is truer than most romance stories, considering that, in reality, it's not that easy for two people to fall in love with each other, and be in love at the same time. In fact, it sounds highly improbable.

So, yeah, I can't say I didn't appreciate the dose of reality (thank you, Cassandra very much). It was a change from the impossible romance stories I usually read and I felt Ananna's pain at being rejected.

Problem was I didn't. I didn't understand what I read this in the first place for: to see into Naji's mind, feel his pain when the flames destroyed his face, his hurt when Leila, a self-centered and shallow pretty girl, turned her back on him, all so I could understand why it was so difficult for him to love Ananna.

This story gave information but not feeling, probably because Naji isn't as in touch with his feelings as I thought. I am actually rethinking my calling him sensitive in the review of The assassin's curse. Maybe sensitive isn't the right word. Thoughtful maybe. Ethical. He likes to have principals, go by ideas, save people as a Jadorr'a and not kill innocents. But not sensitive.

A sensitive person would never have managed to put up with Leila in the first place.

XOXO

Aggie Pearson

No comments: